Memory Items - what are they?

sunmartial

Memory Items - what are they?

Post by sunmartial » 16 Jul 2019, 21:35

HI Guys

I've heard the term "memory items" mentioned around. I know they are checklist items carried out after certain emergencies, but don't know much else. Can someone please point me to a resource, or explain, what exactly these items are, where they are found, when they are used, etc? A pilot once told me the lower EICAS is blanked out for takeoff and landing to allow the memory items to show in case of emergency. Is this simulated in Prosim, and if so, how do I find them?

Many thanks!
Sunny
Cyprus

P3D v4.1, Lastest Prosim v2.xx (using MSFS connect), FSUIPC v5.13, WideFS, 1 flying PC running 3 projectors, 2 avionics PCs, Windows 10, Open Cockpits modules except MCP and EFIS (from CpFlight), and CFY Throttle v3 Gold.

Juergen

Re: Memory Items - what are they?

Post by Juergen » 16 Jul 2019, 22:24

This is a pretty good source to learn them for 737NG https://www.brainscape.com/flashcards/b ... ks/4395926

Memory Items are used when immediate action is needed with not time to take out the checklists
Herzliche Gruesse/kind regards
Juergen

sunmartial

Post by sunmartial » 17 Jul 2019, 20:30

Thanks Juergen.

So, do these memory items show up somewhere in the flight deck (eg. on the lower EICAS), or are they printed cards that the pilots keep somewhere??

Thanks
Sunny
Cyprus

P3D v4.1, Lastest Prosim v2.xx (using MSFS connect), FSUIPC v5.13, WideFS, 1 flying PC running 3 projectors, 2 avionics PCs, Windows 10, Open Cockpits modules except MCP and EFIS (from CpFlight), and CFY Throttle v3 Gold.

Daniel M.

Post by Daniel M. » 17 Jul 2019, 21:22

Interesting
but how should that be displayed on the lower eicas?
greetings

Hakkie

Post by Hakkie » 17 Jul 2019, 22:18

They are stored in pilots memory. Hence the name. These are items (short checklists) that pilots have to remember and perform in case of an emergency situation, before they switch to printed/displayed checklists.
Kind regards,
Henk-Jan
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value (Albert Einstein)

OE1CGA

Post by OE1CGA » 17 Jul 2019, 23:33

the "memory Items" are checklists in the QRH (quick reference handbook), which
has to be performed "by heart", so they have to be learned (memorized)
by the pilots (again and again) before operating the A/C, means part of the checkride
before getting typerated....
After by heart items were performed (e.g. Engine Fire), the assisting pilot starts to read the checklist (QRH)
to be sure, nothing was forgotten.

sunmartial

Post by sunmartial » 18 Jul 2019, 01:57

Ok, thanks very much guys. I get it now. :)
Any idea why it is standard practice to blank off the lower EICAS screen prior to takeoff and landing? I think it was a Ryan Air captain that once told me that if an emergency eventuated, that some information was then able to display in the lower EICAS (but only if the Eng and Sys pages are not active). I thought it was the memory items, but clearly I must have dreamed that one up. :D
Sunny
Cyprus

portanav

Post by portanav » 18 Jul 2019, 10:50

Hi,

The 'Memory Items' are checklist items of the QRH (Quick Reference HandbooK) that are required to be committed to memory, since these items require immediate action in an emergency (non-normal) situation. In the 737 they are enclosed by a rectangular box under that particular non-normal checklist, in this case "ENGINE FIRE, SEVERE DAMAGE, OR SEPARATION"; as shown in the image attached of the most used in training.
qrh.png
Their are not many (I recall 17) memory boxes in the QRH, and are comprised of no more than 3-5 physical items; they are always highlighted in bold print in the "Table of Contents" page.
Attachments
qrh2.png
Regards,
Michael :)

portanav

Post by portanav » 18 Jul 2019, 10:56

sunmartial wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 01:57

I think it was a Ryan Air captain that once told me that if an emergency eventuated, that some information was then able to display in the lower EICAS (but only if the Eng and Sys pages are not active). I thought it was the memory items.
The information displayed is the engine parameters display - N2 rpm, Oil Press, EGT, etc. What you would display during the start procedure. It should override any display on the ECIAS with an engine failure.
Regards,
Michael :)

egkkman

Post by egkkman » 18 Jul 2019, 13:54

Hi,
why it is standard practice to blank off the lower EICAS screen prior to takeoff and landing?
I believe this is to allow de-clutter of information and allow quick scanning of engine parameters such as oil pressure etc. due to the compact way they are presented on the upper EICAS and being above throttle levers in the eye line. I'm not aware other warnings etc., appear on the lower EICAS screen. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Regards

Dave

Return to “ProSim737 - General discussion”